What’s a 70/30 child custody split in Michigan?

On Behalf of | Jul 11, 2023 | Child Custody |

The 70/30 child custody split is a concept that has gained attention among divorcing couples. Michigan, like most states, recognizes legal and physical custody. Legal custody is the authority parents are granted to make life-changing decisions on behalf of their kids. On the other hand, physical custody determines where the child resides and spends their time.

Similar to legal custody, physical custody can be shared or may be awarded solely to one parent. Whether you’re a parent going through a divorce or simply curious about child custody laws, read on to learn why this arrangement is appealing.

Why is the 70/30 child custody split appealing?

As the name suggests, the 70/30 child custody split is an arrangement in which one parent has the child for approximately 70% of the time while the other parent has the child for the remaining 30%.

It is important to note that the percentages may fluctuate depending on the case’s unique circumstances, as the court aims to establish a custody arrangement in the child’s best interests.

A 70/30 custody split can provide children with stability and a consistent routine. Having a primary residence where the child spends the majority of their time allows them to:

  • Establish roots
  • Build relationships with neighbors and friends
  • Maintain a stable academic environment

Furthermore, the children can maintain a strong relationship with both parents by spending the remaining 30% of their time with the noncustodial parent. This arrangement helps ensure the child receives both parents’ emotional support, guidance and love.

Most importantly, a 70/30 custody split encourages parents to cooperate and communicate effectively for the well-being of their children. By sharing custody responsibilities, parents are more likely to work together and make joint decisions in the child’s best interests.

70/30 custody splits can be an effective method of co-parenting. If you are in a child custody dispute, seeking professional legal advice can help protect your child’s well-being.