Can you negotiate spousal support? 

On Behalf of | Dec 22, 2022 | Spousal Support |

Spousal support is not as general as some people believe. Not all circumstances guarantee alimony to the spouse who earns less. As stated in Michigan Legislature, either party may pay alimony to suitably maintain the adverse party, but this is on a case-by-case basis. 

Further, several factors will be considered to determine if a case requires alimony. Examples include the length of the marriage, the behavior of each spouse in the marriage, the ability of each party to work and the needs of each spouse, among others.  

However, with all factors in consideration, if you are required to pay spousal support, can you negotiate the proposed amount? Here are some tips that might help:

1. Make sure it’s modifiable

A Michigan court can grant you modifiable spousal support, which means it can be changed under certain circumstances. Thus, you and your ex-spouse should agree on getting a modifiable agreement to allow for changes in the future.

With a modifiable agreement, you can file a motion, explaining why you need to renegotiate the determined amount if your income – or your ex-spouse’s income – changes.

2. Aim for a win-win solution

Even though negotiating alimony will benefit you, the amount you suggest should meet the other party’s needs. You don’t want to get into enormous debts while paying spousal support, but you also want your ex-spouse to live comfortably. 

If you can negotiate an amount that is acceptable to both of you, that can ultimately save a lot of disputes.

3. Try to come to an agreement without litigation

If possible, you and your ex-spouse should consider agreeing on spousal support outside court. When a judge decides if alimony is appropriate and states the right amount, although possible, it may take longer to alter the terms. Therefore, agreeing on an amount without litigation may make it easier to negotiate in the future. 

It is important to understand Michigan alimony laws. Get answers from experts and know the judge assigned your case to make informed decisions.